What are some examples of disputes that you can assist with?
Study Complaints | Ngā Amuamu Tauira can assist financial and contractual disputes, and claims for redress.
Financial disputes involve money, for example:
• Claims for compensation
Contractual disputes involve agreements, for example:
• Contracts to study
• Accommodation arranged through your provider – such as halls or homestay
• Changes to study programmes
• Course closures
Redress claims involve requests for money or actions to set things right after an NZQA investigation finds that there has been a breach of the Code.
Are there any rules?
Yes. Our service can resolve disputes under the Education and Training Act 2020 and follows the Education (Domestic Tertiary Student and International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme) Rules 2023.
Can a student make a claim without going through the provider’s complaint process?
Generally, no. If a student has a complaint, they must contact their education provider first. The Code requires that all education providers have an internal complaint process in place.
If you require assistance to raise your complaint with your education provider or if you are not sure who to contact, you are welcome to connect with our team for assistance.
If a student's concerns are not resolved by the provider's internal complaint process, the student can then make a complaint to NZQA for Code breaches or to Study Complaints | Ngā Amuamu Tauira for contractual and financial disputes or claims for redress following an NZQA investigation into a Code breach.
Where else can I get help?
Here are some useful links:
- Immigration NZ provide visa options for working and studying
- Study in New Zealand have information about living, working and studying in NZ
- Citizens Advice Bureau and Community Law Centres can help with advice and information on your rights
- NZQA can investigate complaints about the Code of Practice, or about any other concerns you have about the course or the education provider.
You can find more helpful links here.